Monday, March 15, 2010

Letter "P" Week

This was, by far, our favorite letter week.  The children were really into it and pointing out all the things that started with a letter Pp.  I was impressed how they were going through our many bookshelves to find the books with the letter Pp in the titles!  My hubby mentioned mid-week how they were talking to him all about the letter Pp and what we have been learning.  I guess it's working! 

We covered a whole lot this week for the letter Pp.  I hope I can remember all we did! 

 Pp is for St. Padre Pio and St. Patrick and St. Perpetua

We read the booklet of Padre Pio by Rev. Jude Winkler and we decided to wait to watch this CCC movie of St. Patrick until his feast day, which is this week!  (Too bad it did not land on our letter P week!) We also watched this movie about St. Perpetua-my kids thought it was so good, a bit scary at some points for the little ones, but still a great movie.

Pp is for eating
Pretzels
Perogies
Pasta
Peanut butter (&jelly of course!)
lots of popcorn
& Pizza!

Letter Pp
clay formation of the letter capital P
Hidden letter Pp worksheets
Coloring pages of St. Padre Pio
Letter Pp little booklets (I can't seem to find the link right now...sorry!)

Letter Pp is for Pandas, Porcupines, Peacocks and Penguins
We read books I got from the library on these animals-too many to list!  After learning a lot about peacocks and coloring some pictures of peacocks here and here...we visited a nearby small petting zoo to check out the peacocks and other animals too: sheep, goats, chickens and bunnies.  We were joined by some friends and brought the number from my measly 6 way up to 13 and another Mom and myself!  It was a fun field trip for us all.

Letter Pp is for Puppets!
We made sock puppets-I will HAVE to download the pics of them!  They came out so darn cute-affectionately named Margaret, Rosie and Jack.  Easy to do and my kids (ages 7,4 and 3) LOVE them! Jack even came to Mass with us on Sunday-stuck in his pocket and the other ones have enjoyed 'doing school work' with their 'owners'!

Letter P is for Peter Pan
I read this book of Peter Pan-we must have given away the movie b/c I could not find it.  But, they loved listening to the book, I think, even more!  It amazes me that no matter how many times one can watch a certain movie, listening to it being read to them or reading it yourself always makes it so much more interesting! :)

Letter P is for Puzzles
We did lots and lots of puzzles every day.  I am in awe of just how many puzzles we own!  Big floor puzzles, small 24 count, 50 ct, 100 ct, 200 ct puzzles, wooden piece puzzles etc...

Letter P is for Playdough 

My children came up with an additonal list of Pp things and most we could not even get to learning about and are ready to keep learning about them.   I was tempted to do another Letter P week from this list below!  They did a great job...Take a look:
  • Paddington Bear
  • Polar Express
  • Planets
  • Pigs
  • Pyramids
  • Puma
  • Pooh Bear (Winne the Pooh!)
  • Pillows
  • Piano
  • Peanut Butter
  • Pies
  • Pink
  • Purple
  • Plants
  • Policemen
Now it's time for Letter Qq this week-some fun stuff coming up!  It was a bit difficult to choose what to cover with letter Q but I did find some things.  I will post on it later in the week, God willing! 

Have a great Monday and a terrific week too!
God bless,
Mary

No comments: