Sunday, March 14, 2010

Homeschooling Top Picks and Tips #1

I have been mulling around with the idea of having a list of things or items that I feel are essential to homeschooling(*please keep this in mind...this is what I think, not necessarily what every Mom or homeschooling mom thinks but just me, found out of experience and others' advice*). 

Of course I am sure there are going to be more, that is why I added the "#1" on the title of the post...so stay tuned to more to come.  This is a great list to keep handy for birthdays, feast days, name days, and it's never too early to get Christmas shopping done! (I can't believe I just said that! heee heeee!)  Easter is soon too, so you'll be all set for their Easter baskets!

1.  This book, The Mass for Children, by Rev. Jude Winkler is a must have with children---my 7 year old tries to remember to bring it every time she goes to Mass-she agrees that it helps her out so much!

2.  This book, Leading Little Ones to Mary, is awesome!  I cannot stress it enough what this book has done for my children and their understaning of God, Mary, the Saints and our relationship w/them!  It is not full of pretty pictures but has the sweetest way of wording that I read to them a few times a week.  This is a total MUST HAVE BOOK!

3.  A good waterproof, digital watch that has alarm settings(sort of like this one)----for you, the Mom!  No kidding!  I got a new Timex IronMan watch for Christmas this year and my spiritual prayer life has not been better.  It has 3 settings for the alarms that go off daily- one to wake me up at 5:37am (yikes, I know), one for 12noon to say the Angelus prayer and one for 3pm to say the Divine Mercy Chaplet.  I cannot tell you enough how much I love these alarms!  Also, I wanted to add that I do not stop what I am doing to say the Angelus or the Chaplet prayers, I continue on and just say them outloud as I am washing dishes or tieing shoelaces.  My children have even gotten used to these alarms and now know about them too!  What a learning tool for them and I was not even thinking about that!

That's it for now...I'll add more another day so check back, you don't want to miss it!

God bless,
Mary

p.s.  Did YOU remember to turn ahead your clocks?!?!?  I was up at 5:37 and had my coffee already :)  My kids are still sleeping, reason why I can do all this typing right now!!! God bless and don't be late for Mass!

No comments: