Sunday, May 3, 2009

1st Communion Highlights

It was the most perfect, most beautiful day that we could have imagined.

Before I go into details, I need to mention this amazing thing that happened the day prior. After I wrote the post on Thursday at 7am, I kept looking around to find no dressy brown pants. We decided to throw in the towel and just go buy him a new pair of pants. I opted not to pay full price of 20 or 30$ only for him to grow out of them within a few months (he is growing VERY fast!) so we stopped by a local consignment store. Finding none, we turned around to head out but to see 2 suits on a rack. One was very big and the other looked like it could fit Kid #1. I looked at the tag and sure enough it was his size! We grabbed it and he tried it on. As he buttoned the buttons, he was full of smiles saying "Mom! My wish came true! I get to wear a suit!"

Not only did we find the suit he wished for but it was 50% off! You would never believe me if I told you the price we paid! God is sooooo good! :)

Little did I know that months ago when he was thinking about his first holy Communion that his desire to wear a suit was SO VERY STRONG! He really did want to wear one with the utmost passion. He told me "What else would I wear? Of course a suit!"

So, his wish came true and that was only the beginning.

To start the actual day of his Communion, my Kid #1 was concerned and really wanted to go to Confession prior to receiving his first Holy Communion. Isn't that the sweetest thing?! I am so proud of him thinking that way and acting on the inspirations from the Holy Spirit leading him to confession. So I took him to the parish close by us and showed up towards the end of their daily mass. We waited for Father to come to the back and then asked him if he would be so kind to hear both of our confessions. I figured I should go too- well, why not?! I needed to go too :)
So, he obliged happily and both of us went. I love to see my baby, err... I mean big boy go to confession b/c afterwards he is flying high- smiling and happy go lucky. It is quite a sweet sight to see! He mentioned to me a number of times that after he receives communion, that he may just die of happiness. What a thought process for an 8 year old little boy! He truly amazes me of how he thinks of such things. He makes me do a whole lot of thinking too!

We got home with just enough time to watch this. It is about Eucharistic Miracle reports that have happened here in the USA. He was totally enthralled by it and it only excited him more and more to get to holy Communion. (BTW-this is a link to an amazing true story- the Miracle of Lanciano)

We made it to the Church actually on time, even with some minutes to spare. This is huge for us! As all the families gathered in the church, emotions were building up inside me. It is true how a mother feels so much of what her child goes through. This was definitely one of those times. He processed with the other 6 children down the isle and seated next to me in the pew. I was trying to take it all in. Not wanting the time to go too fast. To make the most of this special moment. I felt so close to my son, in a way that cannot be expressed in mere words. Seeing my son grow spiritually into the person that God is calling him to be is a happiness unlike any other.

There was a moment before the consecration where the 2 little girls first communicants honored the Blessed Virgin Mary by crowning her with flowers since it is the month of May- Mary's month. Then the other children each brought up some flowers. It was very touching.

Then the time came for them to receive Jesus. He was the 4th child to go up. Each went up individually, knelt down and received. My eyes did not drift away. Any noise or cry from any of my children, I did not hear.

Completely focused on the union of my son with the Son of God, my Saviour.

He came back to the pew, knelt down next to me, hugged me so tightly and looked at me in my eyes with his eyes of pure happiness and smiled.

The priest then said a special blessing over the brown scapulars and placed each one over each of the children's heads and enrolled them.

Then after the Mass ended, there was a party that followed in the hall. All the children, their families and friends all gathered together to celebrate this most Holy Sacrament. It was beautiful! What a gift for us all to be a part of. Thank you Lord for this day!

Thank you for your prayers.
God bless,
Mary

2 comments:

sam said...

PERFECT!!!

Nicole said...

Oh, what a beautiful day! Thanks for telling us about it! And congratulations!!!