Sunday, May 31, 2009

Pentecost & bird update

A mother's heart can even extend to a little bitty birdie. I mean, look at these pics. The poor thing is so hungry and on the side of our house. His nest that we found a few days ago is in the front. Oh, poor thing- I hope your momma bird brings you some food and soon!





This reminds me of this book, don't you think!?


I know he is just a bird...but a hungry little bird tugs at my heart. Poor thing. I hope he can fly soon and/or get his food from his momma bird soon!


Oh, HAPPY PENTECOST TODAY!
Happy Birthday to our Church! This is our Birthday! It would not be right to celebrate without a cake, right?! A red cake with red sprinkles at that! Oooohhh...my kids will be so excited to see it! I'm going to try to make it right now before they all come back from the park. I have lesson plans that I should be doing right now...and I am on the computer right now instead uploading these pictures!


This morning at mass, we all dressed in red in someway. My hot hubby wearing his suit, with a red tie of course! Me with my skirt with red in it, my girls in their red dresses. My boys wearing red ties-except Kid #5's red bow tie kept falling off on the way there so we left it in the car. My kid #3 did not want to wear the red tie I picked out (no shock for this kid! He has his own way of doing things-that's why we love him so!) and my Kid #1 wearing a bright red stripped shirt. I can't help but to think when this will change. When will they start to notice their crazy Momma doing this to them?!?! heee heeee! I love it! I will keep loving it and keep doing it till they want otherwise-till then, this is so fun! :)


After the homily, Father asked if there were any parishioners-adults and children- that would like a special blessing on Pentecost to ask for a specific gift of the Holy Spirit. I was so thrilled-what Mom would not want their child up there, right?! So, after a little nudging, my kids all went up, and their Daddy and I followed. We lined up with about 50+ other people at the foot of the altar. Father asked what the gift is that they desired and he blessed their foreheads with the holy water and the sign of the cross. Do you know what my kids all asked for? Piety. What a beautiful sight! It could have been that because Kid #1, who is 8 years old, asked for it first and they followed suit. But either way, I loved to see them ask for it and loved to see them blessed. BTW, I also asked for Piety and we did not plan it this way that we'd all be asking for the same thing. It was so cute. We've been reading this book by Fr. Lovasik- The Gifts of the Holy Spirit. It is a child's book but what I learned was awesome too!

Acts 2: 1 - 11 :
When the day of Pentecost had come, they were all together in one place.
And suddenly a sound came from heaven like the rush of a mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared to them tongues as of fire, distributed and resting on each one of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one heard them speaking in his own language. And they were amazed and wondered, saying, "Are not all these who are speaking Galileans? And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language? Par'thians and Medes and E'lamites and residents of Mesopota'mia, Judea and Cappado'cia, Pontus and Asia, Phryg'ia and Pamphyl'ia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyre'ne, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians, we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God."
(After this reading, my oldest commented "Wow, that is a lot of languages and a lot of countries!"--ha! ha!- I found that kind of funny!)

Isn't it kind of fitting that we are discussing the birdie update and it is Pentecost-the symbol of a dove? WOW, God is so good in teaching us things! If only we can step back and not rush... and see His hand in our life and the way things are connected.


HAPPY PENTECOST! Go celebrate! Happy Birthday!

I don't think my cake will turn out to look like this one!
God bless,

Mary

No comments: