Monday, March 2, 2009

Lenten food

What kinds of meals are you fixing this Lent? It would be fun if we can combine some great Lenten recipes.
Here are a few of my favorites:

Fish is our favorite meal. Since we are not big on the traditional famiy meal of Tuna casserole, we tend to stick with delicious fish. It amazes me b/c my kids really enjoy eating fish! Our favorites are salmon, swordfish and tiplapia...oh, and fish sticks! All I do for salmon is let it sit in lemon juice and dill for 1/2 a day then broil it till it is easily broken up if poked at with a fork. Totally easy. For swordfish, I lightly put some mayo on it and a little chunk of butter and broil that too. Tilapia- I like to dip it in egg then bread crumbs and bake it at 350 for 20 or so minutes- 10 mins each side. My hubby and I also like tuna, shrimp, and just about any other fish. We always said that if we could afford it, we'd eat fish every night! :)


Rice and Beans is also a yummy meal. I chop up an onion, sautee it over some oil or butter, add a can of mexican red chili beans and an extra can of tomato sauce. Stir that, then add a can of corn (drained). Mix it all together and heat to a boil for a few minutes. Then I serve it over tortillas w/ lettuce (if we have some) and roll it up. We use chedder cheese on top that my kids love. Or we just have rolls on the side.



This sounds great. It is not a meal per se, but it sure looks yummy. I have never tried it before. Maybe this year, the kids and I will give it a good try, on a Friday!
Did you know that the easy recognizable and tradition “twist” of the pretzel has its roots in religion?! The folded twist is meant to resemble arms crossed in prayer. At one time, people crossed their arms across their chests in pretzel fashion when praying instead of simply putting their two hands together. In fact, in Latin, the word for these braids of bread was “bracellae”, or “little arms”. The word was later said in German to “bretzel”, and then became “pretzel”. Many people would only eat one meal a day during Lent, but would ease the in between time by snacking on pretzels.


How cool is that?
Now I am getting a bit hungry. I'm off to munch on some pretzels now!
God bless,
Mary

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good thread and ideas Mary! Sometimes we'll make a big salad for a meal..and the kids pick out their toppings for on top of their lettuce/spinach (ex: cheese, pieces of apple, cut up peppers, diced hard-boiled eggs, sweet peas, cut up mushrooms, pecans, dried cranberries and their choice of dressing). I am amazed how much they'll eat if they make their own salad!