Thursday, April 2, 2009

Aspire to Great Heights

Ya know how there are times in life that sweet things are said or done and you will remember them FOREVER?
Well, today one of those times happened. My kids and I were in my van together doing some errands and it just so happens that every Thursday we pass by a local Catholic cemetery. The last 5-6 Thursdays I have made it a tradition for us to drive through it and pray a decade of the Holy Rosary for those souls and the names on the tombs we say out loud as we drive through. I have done this every now and then over the past 4+ years but its only been these weeks that its become a bit of a routine. My kids and I always have interesting conversations about this place called a cemetery and what is in it. I am in awe of what they are willing to talk about, the questions asked, and what goes on in their little heads.

What was said on the way out of the cemetery after our Rosary decade is what struck me as one of those "FOREVER TO REMEMBER" times.

Kid #1 said "Mom, ya know, Dad thinks I'm gonna be a Saint." to which I responded "Oh yeah? Honey, I think so too!" He sat back in his seat with a great big grin on his face.

It hit me deep b/c when we allow our children to try to aspire to heights beyond comprehension...guess what? They may really get there! Children actually like to be challenged to become ...a saint! I know, that is a tough one, but obviously not that tough since my 8 year old seems to think it is achievable. If only we can have this fortitude and determination.
The other thing that hit me deep was how much my husband believes in our son. Our son can gather so much power, strength, self confidence and love from that comment of his Daddy's confidence in him. Way to go, Daddy! :)

God bless,
Mary

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just to clarify - I think all our children have the potential to become saints - even the "trouble makers" - I should know:)

Mary said...

Like I said in the post...WAY TO GO DADDY!
See, just another reason I love you so much! :)