Thursday, April 9, 2009

Holy Thursday

It's Holy Thursday-this Lent went by pretty quick and I am eager for Easter! I scooted out to the food store before the mad rush early this morning. My goal was to get all the running around done so that I can make the most of these next few days to get my heart and soul ready for Easter.
Here is a great link for Holy Week activities/crafts. I am not sure if we will get to much today since my kids are sick and on nebulizer breathing treatments. It is very clear that God is calling me to serve and be there for my family in need right now and with this realization, I feel much peace.

One tradition that we try to include on Holy Thursday is that my husband washes the feet of our children and myself either before or right after dinner before he will got to Mass tonight. This is a very practical way to show that Daddy, the head of the household is here to serve, just as Jesus did and it is one of my favorite things to do as a family. The kids are in awe and are as quiet as can be as he does this for each of us. Just the thought of it sometimes leads me to tears.
John 13: 3-5 states:
"So, during supper, fully aware that the Father had put everything into his power and that he had come from God and was returning to God, he rose from supper and took off his outer garments. He took a towel and tied it around his waist. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet and dry them with the towel around his waist."
On this link is a ton of information for this Holy Week. I wish I had more time to read everything I can find and do as much as I can with the kids so they understand the intensity and awesomeness of these days. But, I also have learned to be flexible and lower my expectations. To be of utmost charitable to my family, to hold my tongue-remembering that saying nothing at all is more important to God than saying something I'll regret, and also to have a quiet interior and closeness to our Lord throughout these days. To keep that peace of knowing and trusting in what God has called me to these days.

"At the Last Supper, on the night he was betrayed, our Savior instituted the Eucharistic sacrifice of his Body and Blood. This he did in order to perpetuate the sacrifice of the cross throughout the ages until he should come again, and so to entrust to his beloved Spouse, the Church, a memorial of his death and resurrection: a sacrament of love, a sign of unity, a bond of charity, a Paschal banquet ‘in which Christ is consumed, the mind is filled with grace, and a pledge of future glory is given to us.'" (CCC 1323)
In honor of tonight-Holy Thursday-the institution of the Priesthood:
God bless you and may you have a very Holy Thursday,
Mary

No comments: