Thursday, October 28, 2010

One thing I despise doing is bringing my kids food shopping. 

There are many other moms out there that swear by it, saying it teaches them many virtues etc...blah, blah, blah.  But for me, I have many other opportunities to teach my kids virtue many times a day.  So, for food shopping, that is this Momma's trip by herself.  

Food shopping w/kids....It's not a risk that I want to freely endure.  A risk to forget half of my shopping list, and buying too much of the wrong things, listening to fighting or whining or cyring, putting kids in time-out, taking away privledges or rewards b/c of bad behavior and then listening to them crying or pouting about it.  And of yeah, I was supposed to be shopping for a family of 9 for an entire week.  As if that would be a good mix...I think not.  Of course if I absolutely have to, have to, have to, then by all means, I will bring them.  For us, my hubby and I arrange it so that I go some night during the week and usually again on Saturday and my hubby is so wonderful that he stays home w/all the kids while I do this.  I love my man. 

Today we hit the point where I had to go out and get some food, at least some to hold us over till a super big shopping spree on Saturday.  Usually I would have gone on Wed. night this week but I have been really pregnancy tired and fried lately!   So I had to go out.

I told my hubby that I was going to do a small shopping quickly before dinner.  He agreed and I felt generous so I brought along 2 of my boys-my 6 yr old and 3 yr old.  They did great!  There were about 3 times that my 3 yr old almost 'lost it' over something or another, but I am so proud of him b/c he held it together.  Even on the way out, he was on the verge but, once again, held it together and woman behind us noticed and commented on how obedient he was!  That melted my heart.

But something else that is so funny is that when we started loading up the belt with all our food (and BTW, my boys did great at that too!) my 6 year old said quite loudly:

"Woa, Mom!  Who is moving that thing?!" 

I had to laugh and I saw out of the corner of my eye, the cashier looking at us pretty strangely!!! I just had to belt out some laughter b/c I guess I really do not bring my kids out shopping much, huh?!?!?  :)

Now that my kids have finally quieted down and went to sleep (it's about time, wouldn't you say?!?! ahh.) and my hubby is fast alseep too, I am going to try to read a little bit and quiet myself down to sleep as well. 

Good night and God bless,
Mary

No comments: