Saturday, January 14, 2012

The love language of food

Guys love food, don't they?

Don't you love how they light up and get so pumped when they see the meal in front of them.  Their eyes feasting on that food that the wife made.  The way their whole demeanor changes, esp. if it is one of their ultra favorite meals! 

We have a little rule, which is this:

There is something quite magical about it all.

Something so very symbolic...

The husbands' hard working hands holding the utensils grabbing onto the food that he worked so hard to earn the money.  Our bodies being nourished by that food that the wife worked hard to prepare.  We parents and our children sitting around the table of the blood, sweat and tears.



Living as a family, serving Jesus through one another, working together, and now all gathered around our table.



The table.

Reminds me of the Last Supper table, Jesus giving of His life.  His blood, sweat and tears.  Giving of His everything for us, as we gather around the altar table at Holy Mass ready to receive Him.  How precious, how beautiful, how perfect.

Don't we all long for that perfect dinner time experience? You know the one I am talking about.  Where everyone sits nicely with napkin on lap, everyone getting a chance to talk without interruptions, no yelling, crying or flip outs.  Where the manners are at their best, none of the arm stretching over someones plate, instead with the "please pass the..." and the "thank you for passing the..." comments.  Wouldn't that be something?  I can dream, can't I?  Maybe once the kids get older, things will change but for now, our dinner table time hardly resembles what I described.  We have a  long way to go but we are trying!  :)

One thing is for sure for my husband and I and that is how much a family dinner, sitting down together means to us.  I am always on the lookout for healthy and easy (let me stress EASY!) dinner recipes to make and I will share some of my favs with you in another post in the week b/c I found some great ones!!! :)  There is no television in the background, just us together huddled around a not-so-big-as-I-wish-it -could-be-table.  Together, praying and thanking God for our food, and just being together enjoying the food. 

Some families never to do this and it truly saddens me.  I guess they just don't know what they are missing. 

So....what are you having for dinner tonight?
For us, it is homemade pizza being made by my oldest daughter and I!

(PSSST!....Practical idea is that each night I have a dinner helper-each one of my kidos has a specific night.  Does it take longer?  You betcha.  But I wouldn't trade these experiences for doing it all by myself everynight.  Ever.)
God bless,
Mary

No comments: