Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Is it me?

or...do people just not get together much anymore? 

I have noticed over the past 4-5 years a decline in "play dates" and get togethers for not only mom and tots(which are the most popular) but also for arranging play dates for older kids too.  I also do not mean just the drop off play dates but the "mom comes along too so mom can have some adult interaction and adult talk" play dates.  It makes me wonder if the technology spree has taken over the relationships that people NEED.  We all need people and relationships in our lives, outside of our own family.  Especially the moms, right Moms?   I am tending to think that the Internet, texting, emails, twitter, face book, blogs, forums, IPhones, IPad's and whatever else is out there that I don't know about has taken the place of real live people.   I remember how weird it was when emails came about.  I still would rather talk on the phone than email someone about something. 

It saddens me that our society is okay with this and has let the real human relationship, the sense of community, go by the wayside.   

We (my family and I) are living in a very populated area and there are many very valid reasons to why other moms and kidos don't want to venture out.  Traffic, schooling, clubs/activities and certainly the stress, stress, stress that congestion brings.   Besides the traffic, this would be applicable to any other part of our country too.  Wouldn't you agree that if someone really wants to see another or get their kids together to play and moms to chat, that they would seek them out?  But I wonder if that desire is being fulfilled electronically.

At times, I feel like I have the plague or something!  I had this conversation with a dear friend that lives 8 hours away from me and she feels the same way.  It has to be this electronic world we are living in and not so much the actual location/state we live in.  I have noticed lots of moms feel this way, all in different parts of our country. 

I am not so keen on how this society and world is evolving.  It truly saddens me.

I don't mean to complain but it is something that has been heavy on my heart lately and wanted to share.  I am not sure even how to deal with it or try to change it or if it is possible to change it.  How do I go along with this and enjoy the ride when I feel like I missed the boat?

God bless,
Mary

1 comment:

Sam said...

MOVE TO BOWIE!